Sunday 28 February 2016

Book Review: Crush by Lacey Weatherford

Crush Series - Crush (#1)

Author: Lacey Weatherford
Genre:  YA Romance
Published:  Moonstruck Media 2014
Pages: 332
Rating: 5/5
Read: February 2016

Blurb:
Cami Wimberley has a plan, and that plan includes no room for boys—especially the big time party animal, Hunter Wilder, no matter how handsome and charismatic he is. She’s beautiful, a senior, extremely talented, gets good grades, and is working her way toward her dream college to be a musical theater major. Everything is perfect.

Hunter Wilder does not want a girlfriend—that would complicate his life way too much right now. He especially doesn’t want this girl, Miss-Goody-Two-Shoes, so how come he can’t keep his eyes off her? He tries to keep her at arms length, but fate seems to keep pushing them together. Before long, it’s obvious to everyone they’re crushing on each other. 

As sparks begin to fly, Hunter finds himself sinking deeper and deeper into hot water. Soon he’s scrambling to keep Cami from discovering his dark secret—one that can destroy their entire relationship.

SPOILERS*

Review:
Okay, we can establish that I am an absolute sucker for a good romance novel.  They leave me feeling all gushy inside!

Even though the book was quite cliche, it's important to remember that many people read romance for exactly that reason... we know it will make us feel good.

I enjoyed Cami's character, but I thought Hunter or Dylan had a lot of depth to him.  I enjoyed reading about his unknown struggles and really just wanted to know why he couldn't just be honest with Cami.  Why was the age such a problem?

I loved that the novel had plot twists, and a creepy best friend/bad guy.  I enjoyed the use of a Prologue for further understanding of the plot.  Jordan Henley dies in the Prologue seemingly due to an overdose of meth, however all is not as they seem.  The experience changes Cami for life and she struggles trying to understand whether or not she could have saved Jordan's life.  An example would be simply Cami's lack of enthusiasm when it came to Hunters drug use.  Cami witnessing Jordan's death has changed and cemented her views on using drugs and the murder/or suicide... or overdose served as a sort of mystery for the reader to be included in - at least for me.

Overall I enjoyed the book immensely.  It contained everything to be a very good romance novel, and Crush had sound characters throughout.  I personally will award it the five out of five stars, because it entranced me... the storyline was flawless and even though it was cliche in the terms of a romance novel it still kept myself as the reader on my toes.  This was a great read and I can't wait to get stuck into book two, Smitten.

Favourite Line:
He grinned.  "Just telling it like I see it.  I think even inanimate objects were getting turned on by the intensity rolling off you two.  There are cars in the parking lot that are probably pregnant now." (Ch. 28)

How did you find this book? x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog