Friday 26 February 2016

Book review: Hades by Alexandra Adornetto

Halo Series- Hades (#2)

Author: Alexandra Adornetto
Genre:  Romance
Published:  Feiwel and Friends 2011
Pages: 424
Rating: 4/5
Read: February 2016

Blurb:
What will happen to an angel in Hell?  Jake Thorn and his demons have been banished and Xavier and Bethany settle down to resume a normal life.  But on the night of Halloween, a childish prank goes terribly wrong and Jake is summoned back to the sleepy town of Venus Cove.  Bethany is deceived and like the mythical Persephone she finds herself dragged into the nightmarish underworld of Hades.  While the angels call on higher powers to help rescue Bethany, Jake decides to play dirty and goes after the one thing she loves more than anything.  But to spare Xavier's life, Bethany must make the ultimate sacrifice.  Will she make a deal with the Devil?  And what will happen to an angel in Hell?
SPOILERS*

The second novel of the Halo Series was finally released and published eight years after the first novel.  And I enjoyed this novel probably even more than the first one, though it left my mind reeling with unanswered questions.  Beth had spunk, she got sassier and she was determined... not the way God intended though... I don't think...

The same amount of detail Adornetto used to describe Bethany's surroundings in the first novel, Halo, was used throughout this novel to describe the nightmarish underworld of Hades.

Firstly, Hades is a Greek God, not a place in my understanding but please correct me if I'm wrong.  It's hard for anyone to get across their ideas when it comes to Religion, and Adornetto is no different.  Everyone will have a different idea of what the supernatural look like... everyone will have a different idea of what Heaven and Hell would really be like.  I agree with Adornetto's depiction of Hell, mainly with the idea of the Pit.  This "hell" is exactly what I imagine it would be like.  Living everyday as a soul who is tortured, only to be fixed while the soul sleeps, to awaken and start all over again.  A nightmare!

Now I did absolutely love this book, I thought there were some things that should have changed.  My main issue is that Jake Thorn is a DEMON!  He is almost as low as the Devil himself, yet Bethany thinks in order to save her man she must sleep with him.  Sorry but if I was Beth, I would pray!  I mean she's an Angel!  God would listen to her plea, He has the ability to do anything - that's what the Father is!  Someone to love you unconditionally and for us to turn to not just in everyday life but especially in our time of need.  Angels are flawless, they are designed to be full of faith and to protect human life, according to the book...  Though Bethany did achieve this by giving away her body (maybe) I felt let down by the way the heroine would bend over and allow someone so low to manipulate and change her.  The story needed Beth to be stronger.  I didn't like how Jake Thorns character got me to like him, when he's meant to be scum...  He only wants Beth to love him and even though she can't because it's forbidden... He defied the Devil himself to keep her...  I find it sort of hard to swallow when her love for Xavier is also forbidden...

She did however, definitely grow less susceptible to the Devil's power, but at the same time she changed so much she forgot about her duty to Heaven and to her Father.

For these things I'm giving the book a four out of five, only because it was my favourite, by the use of descriptive words and Beth doing anything to get back to the one's she loves.  The message was to never give up - however it could have been clearer, and should have reflected Beth's purpose as an Angel...  I don't really understand the lack of substance Beth was sometimes given...  Adornetto likely could have given Beth  more substance just by writing in some prayers, or things that Beth as an Angel would do...

I didn't highlight my favourite line from this novel, but overall it was a pleasant read.  Once I sat down to think about it though, some holes unfortunately appeared.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog